What is a data ecosystem?
The data ecosystem is a crucial element of the data economy. Within ecosystems, organisations, consumers and governments can engage in controlled, secure data exchange. So data can flow faster and become reusable.
We build these data ecosystems on solid pillars:
- Solutions and components that provide the technical connectivity to make data flow from data provider to the data consumer. We work independently of technology, putting business needs first.
- Semantic data interoperability by applying international, open standards that make data interpretable and deployable across business contexts.
- Organisational agreements with partners regarding setting up or adjusting processes at their end (only when strictly necessary).
- A governance model approved by partners that allows them to set up, monitor and adjust each of the above-mentioned components of this set of agreements where necessary.
This approach creates a level playing field that allows companies to seize new opportunities for innovation and growth by leveraging one or more of the data spaces being developed.
The advantages of a data ecosystem
Data ecosystems offer a wide range of benefits to companies and sectors looking to harness the potential of the data economy:
- Cross-sector solutions, by taking data out of silos and making them easier to share.
- Better, cheaper solutions for each participating party thanks to the chain approach.
- Data ecosystems allow new partners to join faster.
- Shared investments reduce costs per participating party.
We are the connecting factor in a data ecosystem
Setting up a data ecosystem requires integrating different interests and goals. We bring parties together and fulfil the role of trusted partner for creating data ecosystems . As a neutral public company, we work within a legal framework that offers security to companies, sectors and consumers. Furthermore, we are obliged by decree to give consumers and companies control over their data in the data ecosystems we create. We are the first in Europe to set up a production environment based on the Solid standard for personal data vaults. This result offers Flanders a head start as a frontrunner in data spaces containing personal data flows.
Finally, our company has a proven track record. We have developed and built sustainable data ecosystems with proven social and economic added value.
We are building on this track record to develop new ideas and create opportunities jointly with various parties. We are working with several leading partners at the moment. This cooperation has allowed us to assess which data are needed in new data ecosystems, where they are located and how to make them flow.
We help you with your data project
Together with you, we work stepwise towards the realisation of your data project:
- Pre-project: we determine the potential and feasibility of the problem you want to solve and who is the involved party. This data project may not cause any disruption in the market. A neutral third party is necessary.
- Business case: we explore together the technical, legal and organisational hurdles. Interoperability and potential ecosystem partners are also discussed.
- Project phase: we offer various options such as the development and the management of a new data ecosystem, the connection to one of our data space components for your project (for example data attestation service, building blocks of FSDS, ...) or the implementation in a Solid Sandbox environment, set up as a test platform to test the feasibility of predefined Solid objectives in practice. Business partners can use the platform as a validation step towards developing a production case.
Our role is determined according to the business case. For example, if there is already an elaborated business case, we only supply platform and platform components or data vaults. We deliver our products and services tailor-made.
Do you want to reach the next level quickly in the data economy? Do you have a business idea for which you need data? Would you like to use one of our data space components to realise your project?